Exercise `beneficial for cancer patients`
Washington: Even though numerous studies have shown the powerful effect that exercise can have on cancer care and recovery, many patients are reluctant to exercise, and few discuss it with their oncologists, researchers say.
“As doctors, we often tell patients that exercise is important, but to this point, nobody had studied what patients know about exercise, how they feel about it and what tends to get in the way,” Andrea Cheville, lead author from Mayo Clinic, said.
In the study, which is part of a series of investigations looking at exercise habits among cancer patients, researchers found that patients who exercised regularly before their diagnosis were more likely to exercise than those who had not.
Many patients considered daily activities, such as gardening, sufficient exercise.
“There was a real sense of ‘What I do every day, that’s my exercise’,” Dr. Cheville said.
“Most were not aware that inactivity can contribute to weakening of the body and greater vulnerability to problems, including symptoms of cancer,” she said.
In addition, researchers found that patients took exercise advice most seriously when it came directly from their oncologists, but none of those studied had discussed it with them.
“Generally, patients are not being given concrete advice about exercise to help them maintain functionality and to improve their outcomes,” Dr. Cheville added.
Exercise can improve patients’ mobility, enable them to enjoy activities and keep them from becoming isolated in their homes.
It can contribute to overall feelings of strength and physical safety, ease cancer-related fatigue and improve sleep. The researchers plan to investigate how to make the message about exercise meaningful to patients to optimize symptom relief and enhance recovery.
The study has been published in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next