Exercise `beneficial for cancer patients`
Washington: Even though numerous studies have shown the powerful effect that exercise can have on cancer care and recovery, many patients are reluctant to exercise, and few discuss it with their oncologists, researchers say.
“As doctors, we often tell patients that exercise is important, but to this point, nobody had studied what patients know about exercise, how they feel about it and what tends to get in the way,” Andrea Cheville, lead author from Mayo Clinic, said.
In the study, which is part of a series of investigations looking at exercise habits among cancer patients, researchers found that patients who exercised regularly before their diagnosis were more likely to exercise than those who had not.
Many patients considered daily activities, such as gardening, sufficient exercise.
“There was a real sense of ‘What I do every day, that’s my exercise’,” Dr. Cheville said.
“Most were not aware that inactivity can contribute to weakening of the body and greater vulnerability to problems, including symptoms of cancer,” she said.
In addition, researchers found that patients took exercise advice most seriously when it came directly from their oncologists, but none of those studied had discussed it with them.
“Generally, patients are not being given concrete advice about exercise to help them maintain functionality and to improve their outcomes,” Dr. Cheville added.
Exercise can improve patients’ mobility, enable them to enjoy activities and keep them from becoming isolated in their homes.
It can contribute to overall feelings of strength and physical safety, ease cancer-related fatigue and improve sleep. The researchers plan to investigate how to make the message about exercise meaningful to patients to optimize symptom relief and enhance recovery.
The study has been published in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read