Exercise can prevent falls in older people
Washington: Making exercise a part of daily routine can reduce falls in older adults, according to researchers.
A team of researchers at the University of Sydney designed and tested the Lifestyle integrated Functional Exercise (LiFE) programme, which involves embedding balance and lower limb strength training into daily routines, such as walking, stepping over objects and moving from sitting to standing.
They then compared this approach with a structured exercise programme (performed three times a week using ankle cuff weights) and gentle ‘sham’ exercises that acted as the study control.
They recruited 317 men and women aged 70 or older, living in the community and having two or more falls, or one injurious fall, in the past year.
Participants were split into the three treatment arms and recorded any falls over 12 months using daily calendars. Other measures like static and dynamic balance, ankle, knee and hip strength, daily living activities, and quality of life were also measured recognised scales.
They found a significant (31 percent) reduction in the rate of falls for participants in the LiFE programme compared with the control group. The overall incidence of falls in the LiFE programme was 1.66 per person years, compared with 1.90 in the structured programme and 2.28 in the control group.
There was a non-significant reduction in the rate of falls for participants in the structured programme compared to the control group.
Compared with control patients, LiFE participants showed improvements in both static and dynamic balance, ankle strength, and in function and participation in daily life, suggesting that this programme improves both fall risk and frailty.
Adherence was significantly better in the LiFE programme and control group compared with the structured exercise programme.
The researchers concluded that the LiFE programme “provides an alternative to traditional exercise for older people to reduce falls, to improve function in doing activities and to enhance participation in daily life.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why