Exercise for 3 minutes, burn fat
London: Those who feel lazy to go to gym or do not have time to exercise may be literally jumping once they read this news.
Scientists say we don`t need to work for hours at the gym to cut flab, as just three minutes of exercise a week could be enough to help you lose weight.
The secret is short bursts of intense exercise - known as high-intensity interval training.
According Scientists at Birmingham and Nottingham universities, such a session once a week is far more effective at -burning fat than daily workouts, a newspaper reported.
HIT triggers the release of fat-burning hormones helping to shift those unwanted love handles. It also moves glucose from the blood into muscle tissue where it is burned as energy rather than converted to fat.
And vigorous bursts of physical activity also have the effect of killing your appetite, whereas longer workouts can leave you wanting to eat more.
This means people keen to lose weight would be less likely to be tempted to snack on unhealthy treats if they ditched the gym and went for a short brisk walk. HIT sessions can include running, riding a bike or walking.
"HIT is really good at improving glucose uptake into the muscles in a very, very short time," Professor James Timmons, leading the research at Birmingham, said.
"With really intense exercise, you release hormones that can help break down fat. This may help burn that fat over time, after HIT is done. Also, we think, but don`t know, that HIT will subdue appetite, while traditional exercise will stimulate appetite. This last point is key and will be researched by our team," he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- cbse.nic.in Board Results 2015: CBSE Class 10 Results declared on cbseresults.nic.in
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser