Exercising before breakfast helps you lose more body fat
London: If you are heading to the gym or pounding the pavements in the hope of losing weight, try to do it before you eat your breakfast, as exercising before the first meal of the day is more effective than after it, a study suggests.
Not only does working up a sweat on an empty stomach burn off more body fat – helping you lose those extra inches around the waist – it also triggers a bigger reduction in artery-clogging blood fats, the Daily Mail reported.
Although the benefits of exercise are well-known, people have been unsure about whether it is better to do it on an empty stomach or a full one.
Dr Jason Gill, who conducted the research at Glasgow University, said that while exercise in itself is good, any done before breakfast may be extra beneficial, because it forces the body to rely on its stores of fat for energy.
“When people talk about losing weight, they really mean losing fat,” he said.
Ten men made three visits to his laboratory at the university’s Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, and were given breakfast each time.
On the first visit, the men didn’t do any exercise. On another, they did an hour’s brisk walk ahead of breakfast and on the third they did the walk after breakfast.
Those who exercised burnt off more fat than those who simply sat around. And those who did their walk before breakfast used up 33 percent more fat than those who exercised after eating.
Tests revealed they also experienced a bigger drop in the blood fats that raise the risk of heart disease.
While the men only did a brisk walk, more strenuous activity can also be safely carried out on an empty stomach, Dr Gill said.
This is because the body has enough reserves for about 90 minutes to two hours of exercise.
The study is published in the British Journal of Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Maruti Suzuki continues to rule PV segment with 7 models in top 10 list
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy