Exercising in green good for the mind
London: A new research has suggested that just five minutes of outdoor activity — such as exercising in a park, working in a backyard garden or walking on a nature trail — is good for the brain, with tangible benefits for mental health.
It indicated that physical activity in natural areas, known as `green` exercise, could lead to improvements in mental health.
In the study, Jules Pretty and Jo Barton, PhD., of the University of Essex in the United Kingdom, analyzed data on the physical activities of 1,252 people of different ages, genders and mental health status in the UK.
The scientists showed that just five minutes of exercise in a green nature setting could boost mood and self-esteem.
The research appeared in a report in the ACS journal, Environmental Science & Technology (ES&T). ES&T also published a news article on the study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in