Fast walkers for long keep safe distance from death
Sydney: Men aged 70 years and above who walk at speeds of at least five km an hour can hope to keep death behind and live longer, according to an Australian study.
Researchers at Concord Hospital in Sydney analysed the walking patterns of 1,705 men aged 70 and over who were participating in the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project (CHAMP).
The men were recruited from January 2005 to June 2007.
Half the number of participants in the CHAMP study were born in Australia while 20 percent were born in Italy. The other countries of birth were Britain, Greece and China, according to a Concord statement.
A total of 266 deaths were observed during the follow-up. The results show that their average walking speed was 0.88 metres per second (mps). No men with walking speeds of 1.36 mps (five kmph) or above died.
The authors concluded that the results support their theory "that faster speeds are protective against mortality because fast walkers can maintain a safe distance from the Grim Reaper."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory