Feeling dehydrated after exercise? Drink milk
Washington: Researchers at McMaster University have said that active children need to be watered with milk as it is a more effective way of countering dehydration than a sports drink or water itself.
According to Brian Timmons, research director of the Child Health and Exercise Medicine Program at McMaster and principal investigator of the study, this is particularly important during the hot summer weather.
“Children become dehydrated during exercise, and it``s important they get enough fluids, particularly before going into a second round of a game. Milk is better than either a sports drink or water because it is a source of high quality protein, carbohydrates, calcium and electrolytes,” said Timmons.
He added that milk replaces sodium lost in sweat and helps the body retain fluid better. As well, the milk provides protein needed by children for muscle development and growth that is not found in the other drinks.
The study of eight to 10-year-olds involved exercising in a climate chamber, then receiving a drink and being measured for hydration.
Timmons, an assistant professor of pediatrics of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, said active children and adults usually don``t drink enough to stay hydrated during exercise, so they often have a “hydration disadvantage” when they start their next period of exercise.
He said that one per cent dehydration can have up to a 15 per cent decrease in performance, with an increased heart rate, core temperature and less ability to keep going. More significant dehydration comes with an increased risk of heat-related illness such as heat stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert