Feeling dehydrated after exercise? Drink milk
Washington: Researchers at McMaster University have said that active children need to be watered with milk as it is a more effective way of countering dehydration than a sports drink or water itself.
According to Brian Timmons, research director of the Child Health and Exercise Medicine Program at McMaster and principal investigator of the study, this is particularly important during the hot summer weather.
“Children become dehydrated during exercise, and it``s important they get enough fluids, particularly before going into a second round of a game. Milk is better than either a sports drink or water because it is a source of high quality protein, carbohydrates, calcium and electrolytes,” said Timmons.
He added that milk replaces sodium lost in sweat and helps the body retain fluid better. As well, the milk provides protein needed by children for muscle development and growth that is not found in the other drinks.
The study of eight to 10-year-olds involved exercising in a climate chamber, then receiving a drink and being measured for hydration.
Timmons, an assistant professor of pediatrics of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, said active children and adults usually don``t drink enough to stay hydrated during exercise, so they often have a “hydration disadvantage” when they start their next period of exercise.
He said that one per cent dehydration can have up to a 15 per cent decrease in performance, with an increased heart rate, core temperature and less ability to keep going. More significant dehydration comes with an increased risk of heat-related illness such as heat stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured