Harnessing amazing power of mind can help beat illnesses
London: Scientists are turning to the amazing power of the mind to fight against many diseases.
Researchers at Oxford University have recently proved that a belly laugh can even help us cope with pain, the Daily Express reported.
Professor Robin Dunbar, who led the study, believes uncontrollable laughter releases pain-killing chemicals called endorphins.
Doctors have long recognised the importance of positive thinking. They call it the power of placebo, which is a phenomenon that sees patients improve after taking a dummy pill or treatment.
Some reports found that placebo works in 90 per cent of cases.
In most cases mind power is not a replacement for modern medicine but it can enhance its impact and reduce the risk of getting ill in the first place.
Here are some scientifically proven ways to rewrite the proverb and make it: “Patient, heal thyself.”
A sunny outlook can help head off a heart attack, revealed a study of almost 100,000 women that was published by the American Heart Association.
Pessimists were 50 per cent more likely to die from cardiovascular disease with the highest incidence among women who scored highly for “cynical hostility”.
A similar but smaller study of men found optimists had the lowest cardiac risks and pessimists had the highest incidence of artery disease.
Brain scans show that love helps us withstand pain, revealed a study at Stanford University in America.
Mind power is so effective at controlling the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) it is now recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves