Harnessing amazing power of mind can help beat illnesses
London: Scientists are turning to the amazing power of the mind to fight against many diseases.
Researchers at Oxford University have recently proved that a belly laugh can even help us cope with pain, the Daily Express reported.
Professor Robin Dunbar, who led the study, believes uncontrollable laughter releases pain-killing chemicals called endorphins.
Doctors have long recognised the importance of positive thinking. They call it the power of placebo, which is a phenomenon that sees patients improve after taking a dummy pill or treatment.
Some reports found that placebo works in 90 per cent of cases.
In most cases mind power is not a replacement for modern medicine but it can enhance its impact and reduce the risk of getting ill in the first place.
Here are some scientifically proven ways to rewrite the proverb and make it: “Patient, heal thyself.”
A sunny outlook can help head off a heart attack, revealed a study of almost 100,000 women that was published by the American Heart Association.
Pessimists were 50 per cent more likely to die from cardiovascular disease with the highest incidence among women who scored highly for “cynical hostility”.
A similar but smaller study of men found optimists had the lowest cardiac risks and pessimists had the highest incidence of artery disease.
Brain scans show that love helps us withstand pain, revealed a study at Stanford University in America.
Mind power is so effective at controlling the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) it is now recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview