How brisk walking could slash risk of stroke by 50%
London: A speedy brisk walk could halve the risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke, a new study has suggested.
A ten-year study of more than 10,000 people found those who jogged or who had a higher walking speed had a lower risk of cardiovascular disease than those who led couch potato lifestyles or moved about at a leisurely pace.
The study also said vigorous exercise staves off metabolic syndrome - a range of conditions involved in the development of cardiovascular disease including obesity and high blood pressure
“Our results confirm the role of physical activity in reducing metabolic syndrome risk and suggest intensity more than volume of activity is important,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Adam Laursen, of Bispebjerg University Hospital in Copenhagen, as saying.
“Our data indicated the risk of developing metabolic syndrome may be reduced as much as 35-50 per cent in subjects who are more physically active.
“Metabolic syndrome is highly prevalent worldwide and incidence is considered epidemic in nature.
“Significantly lower risk of metabolic syndrome was found in the moderately and highly physically active groups compared to their sedentary counterparts whereas light physical activity and even more than one hour of walking daily did not confer protection.
“Participation in regular moderate or vigorous activity such as brisk walking could improve cardio-respiratory fitness and decrease metabolic syndrome risk,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray