How brisk walking could slash risk of stroke by 50%
London: A speedy brisk walk could halve the risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke, a new study has suggested.
A ten-year study of more than 10,000 people found those who jogged or who had a higher walking speed had a lower risk of cardiovascular disease than those who led couch potato lifestyles or moved about at a leisurely pace.
The study also said vigorous exercise staves off metabolic syndrome - a range of conditions involved in the development of cardiovascular disease including obesity and high blood pressure
“Our results confirm the role of physical activity in reducing metabolic syndrome risk and suggest intensity more than volume of activity is important,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Adam Laursen, of Bispebjerg University Hospital in Copenhagen, as saying.
“Our data indicated the risk of developing metabolic syndrome may be reduced as much as 35-50 per cent in subjects who are more physically active.
“Metabolic syndrome is highly prevalent worldwide and incidence is considered epidemic in nature.
“Significantly lower risk of metabolic syndrome was found in the moderately and highly physically active groups compared to their sedentary counterparts whereas light physical activity and even more than one hour of walking daily did not confer protection.
“Participation in regular moderate or vigorous activity such as brisk walking could improve cardio-respiratory fitness and decrease metabolic syndrome risk,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued