How to remain comfortable while exercising in cold weather
Washington: An exercise science professor has compiled seasonal fitness tips to keep individuals fit, inspired, and warm during the winter months.
Dr Heidi Freeman, PhD, program director of exercise science and wellness management at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, said that once chilly weather arrives, the temptation to skip outdoor exercise routine can often be very strong, however, the cold weather does not have to mean an end to outdoor exercise, and it certainly shouldn't intimidate exercisers.
She has listed out some ways which can help people brave cold during their exercise routine:
People should dress in layers, which they can remove as soon as they start to sweat, then put back on as needed. First, put on a thin layer of synthetic material, such as polypropylene, which draws sweat away from your body; and avoid cotton, which stays wet next to your skin. Next, add a layer of fleece or wool for insulation. Top this with a waterproof, breathable outer layer.
Protect your extremities from frostbite by wearing a thin pair of gloves under a pair of heavier gloves or mittens lined with wool or fleece. Also, wear a thermal hat or headband to protect your ears.
Even if it's not as obvious as in the summer, people will still sweat during cold-weather workouts and pushing yourself, so drink plenty of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on