Jogging craze in middle age may hurt your ankles
London: Has ever-growing paunch and sedentary lifestyle led you to begin jogging as you approach 40? Read this as a research reveals that those who suddenly take up exercise in their middle years are at the risk of developing ankle arthritis.
The boom in middle-aged joggers, tennis players and footballers is likely to fuel demand for ankle replacements in later life, as exercise craze puts strain on our bodies, British surgeons have cautioned.
People should not fool themselves into thinking their bodies were as resilient as they once were, even if they are in good shape for their age.
As we grow older, our tissue tends not to heal so quickly.
"The guy who is at highest risk is the one who has never played football as an adult and decides to take it up when he reaches 40," orthopaedic surgeon and professor Tony Kochhar of London Bridge Hospital was quoted as saying in a Daily Mail report.
"Repeated activity can cause a lot of stretch of the ankle ligaments, so the stability of the ankle is reduced over time," said Kochhar.
Ankle arthritis is a clinical condition, in which the joint that connects the foot to the leg known as ankle joint, has damaged or worn out cartilage.
The result is pain, stiffness and misery.
The operation involves removing the worn-out ends of bones, replacing them with metal caps and inserting a sliding plastic disc in between to act as artificial cartilage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- China, North Korea envoys hold talks in Laos
- If Narsingh Yadav is found guilty, Sushil Kumar cannot replace him for Rio Olympics – Here's why!
- Rohit Bal's fusion of bling and royalty draws curtain on India Couture Week
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab