Jogging doesn`t help lose weight
New Delhi: Running might not be the ideal form of exercise, especially if you want to lose weight.
Says Greg Brookes, a London-based personal trainer: "Lots of people start running to lose weight and it doesn`t always work - and this is why."
"Fat is one of our body`s favourite sources of energy," says Brookes. "The more you run, the more your body prepares itself for your next run. You will actually start to hold on to more fat," the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
Brookes, with a clientele that includes celebrities, high-fliers and housewives, suggests why you won`t get leaner is that the body is an amazing machine and will adapt to anything.
"The more time you spend running, the better you become at running and the more efficient you get, the less energy you use and the fewer calories you burn," says Brookes.
According to him, running is also bad for joints. "When you run, two-and-a-half times your bodyweight is transmitted through your joints."
"If that force is repeated over and over, eventually your weakest joint will give out. Usually the ankles or the knees are the first to go," he adds.
Contrary to popular belief that any exercise will speed up your metabolism, running can, says Brookes, do the opposite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon