Kids who sleep with parents tend to be ‘slimmer’
London: Children who get up at night and sneak into bed with their parents may be healthier as they are less likely to become overweight, a new study has revealed.
Disturbed sleep is associated with obesity because it interferes with hunger hormones but research conducted in Denmark suggested the opposite may be true for children.
A study of 497 children between the ages of two and six found children who always stayed in their own beds were three times more likely to be overweight than children who got into bed with their parents every night, the Telegraph reported.
Dr Nanna Olsen, at the Research Unit for Dietary Studies, Institute of Preventive Medicine, at Copenhagen University Hospitals said it might be because these children have a greater sense of security by cuddling up to their parents.
The findings were presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Lyon, France.
"The results may suggest that elements of parental social support or other types of positive psychosocial responses if being allowed to enter parents’ bed during night may protect against overweight, whereas types of negative psychosocial responses such as feelings of rejection when not being allowed to enter parents’ bed may lead to overweight," Dr Olsen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Civilian shot dead in J&K's Kupwara
- Donald Trump wins Washington state Republican primary
- Sexism row: Rajiv Shukla to take up Chris Gayle's issue with BCCI, RCB management
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight
- Kseeb.kar.nic.in & Karresults.nic.in KSEEB 2nd II PUC Results 2016: Karnataka Board 12th XII Class, Second II PUC Exam Results 2016 to be announced today on May 25, 2016 at 4 PM