Know whether it is safe to exercise when you’re sick
Washington: Whether a person should exercise or not while sick can be disease specific, an expert says.
When sick our bodies already are battling against an illness and that takes energy. So, adding the extra stress of exercising while sick can be dangerous for a person with a heart condition, said Keith Veselik, MD, director of primary care at Loyola University Health System.
On the other hand a person with diabetes may need to monitor blood glucose levels more often, especially if one is not eating and drinking normally, as being ill may raise glucose levels and exercise may lower them.
If you do have a medical condition and are not sure if you should exercise while sick Veselik suggests you call your doctor.
Still, Veselik said a general rule is that it’s ok to exercise if your symptoms are above the neck, such as a sore throat or runny nose.
“If you aren’t feeling well, but still want to exercise, lower your expectations about what you can do. You don’t necessarily need to be in bed all day, but you can’t expect to have the same level of energy as you would if you weren’t sick,” said Veselik. But, it could be dangerous to exercise if you have the following symptoms:
• Shortness of breath or chest congestion
• Body aches
• Diarrhea or Vomiting
• If you feel dizzy or light-headed when you stand up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand