Lack of physical exercise as harmful to health as smoking
London: Lack of physical exercise is as detrimental to health as smoking, alcohol abuse and diabetes combined, it has been revealed.
According to chief Medical Officer Sir Harry Burns , international research had shown a lack of physical activity was a major risk factor for early death, the Scotsman reported.
Harry asserted that doctors should give patients advice on what exercise to do and ways to lead a healthier lifestyle.
Doctors agreed that exercise plays a key part in improving the nation's health, but warned that time was often against them when it came to giving fitness guidance to patients.
The study will be presented in a meeting at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert