Lack of physical exercise as harmful to health as smoking
London: Lack of physical exercise is as detrimental to health as smoking, alcohol abuse and diabetes combined, it has been revealed.
According to chief Medical Officer Sir Harry Burns , international research had shown a lack of physical activity was a major risk factor for early death, the Scotsman reported.
Harry asserted that doctors should give patients advice on what exercise to do and ways to lead a healthier lifestyle.
Doctors agreed that exercise plays a key part in improving the nation's health, but warned that time was often against them when it came to giving fitness guidance to patients.
The study will be presented in a meeting at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?