Men who do housework less likely to suffer from psychological problems
London: Husbands who dodge doing the dishes or making the beds, are more likely to suffer from psychological problems, a new study has revealed.
Male shirkers were more prone to anxiety and heart palpitations and were less likely to be able to concentrate than men who split the housework down the middle with their partners, the study found.
And the women who take up the slack for their lazy partners are not only more tired because of the extra chores, they also face an increased risk of health problems, the Daily Mail reported.
The study, at Umea University in Sweden, looked into aspects of domestic responsibility and how it affects couples.
Researchers found that levels of psychological distress were higher among men who did less than half of the housework and also occupied a lower socioeconomic position than their partner.
This may be because this situation challenges commonly held beliefs about gender roles, the authors suggest.
“Overall in Sweden, women still do most of the domestic work,” Lisa Harryson, who led the study, said.
“However, we found that it’s much better for men if they take half the work in the domestic responsibilities,” she said.
She suggested that couples should discuss their roles.
“People should try doing things they are not used to doing. Sometimes it’s better for couple to switch roles when it comes to some responsibilities,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam