Moderate exercise doesn`t up risk of knee osteoarthritis
Washington: Engaging in moderate physical activity up to two and a half hours a week does not increase the risk of developing knee osteoarthritis over a 6-year follow-up period in adults age 45 and older, a new study has revealed.
Study participants who engaged in the highest levels of physical activity- up to 5 hours a week- did have a slightly higher risk of knee osteoarthritis, but the difference was not statistically significant.
Joanne Jordan, MD, MPH, senior study author and director of the Thurston Arthritis Research Center in the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, said that moderate physical activities are those that produce some increase in heart rate or breathing, like rapid walking
Barbour said that meeting physical activity recommendations through these simple activities are a great way to reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other diseases.
The results are based on an analysis of data collected from 1999 to 2010 as part of UNC`s long-running Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project, a prospective, population-based study of knee, hip, hand and spine osteoarthritis and disability in African Americans and Caucasians, aged 45 years and older.
The study was published in the journal Arthritis Care and Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning