New brown fat cell could help fight obesity
Washington: Humans have two different kinds of brown fat cells and not one kind as previously thought, according to researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
This discovery opens up new opportunities for future medicines that exploit the brown fat cells` ability to consume calories.
Unlike white fat cells, which store the body`s surplus energy in the form of fat, brown fat cells have the unique property of being able to burn energy and turn it into heat.
According to Sven Enerback, who heads the country`s leading research group in the study of fat cells and metabolism, this is an interesting discovery.
"We already know that those of us who have more brown fat tissue have a smaller risk of developing type 2 diabetes. With these new results, we should eventually be able to develop methods for stimulating the brown fat tissue, so that some of the surplus energy we store in the form of fat tissue can be converted into heat. Such a treatment could both prevent obesity and reduce the risk of developing obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes," said Sven Enerback.
The researchers call the new type of brown fat tissue that they have discovered "classical brown fat".
According to the Gothenburg study, young people have this classic brown fat tissue, but it seems to disappear during adolescence.
"One idea is to be able to "reactivate" the classical brown fat tissue in older people and so treat obesity," said Sven Enerback.
The research into brown fat tissue is being done in close cooperation with researchers at Linkoping University.
This discovery was published online in Nature Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!