New brown fat cell could help fight obesity
Washington: Humans have two different kinds of brown fat cells and not one kind as previously thought, according to researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
This discovery opens up new opportunities for future medicines that exploit the brown fat cells` ability to consume calories.
Unlike white fat cells, which store the body`s surplus energy in the form of fat, brown fat cells have the unique property of being able to burn energy and turn it into heat.
According to Sven Enerback, who heads the country`s leading research group in the study of fat cells and metabolism, this is an interesting discovery.
"We already know that those of us who have more brown fat tissue have a smaller risk of developing type 2 diabetes. With these new results, we should eventually be able to develop methods for stimulating the brown fat tissue, so that some of the surplus energy we store in the form of fat tissue can be converted into heat. Such a treatment could both prevent obesity and reduce the risk of developing obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes," said Sven Enerback.
The researchers call the new type of brown fat tissue that they have discovered "classical brown fat".
According to the Gothenburg study, young people have this classic brown fat tissue, but it seems to disappear during adolescence.
"One idea is to be able to "reactivate" the classical brown fat tissue in older people and so treat obesity," said Sven Enerback.
The research into brown fat tissue is being done in close cooperation with researchers at Linkoping University.
This discovery was published online in Nature Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch