New smart shoe to curb jogging-related injuries
Berlin: Researchers have developed a new high-tech athletic shoe that evaluates a jogger's running form and technique and warns them of exhaustion or overload to prevent injuries like pulled ligaments or torn muscles.
To prevent jogging-related injuries and symptoms of muscle overload during athletic training, researchers from the Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems IPMS, Germany, in collaboration with five partners have developed the prototype of the specialised running shoe.
Sensors and microelectronics integrated into the sole of the shoe measure the biomechanical data of the athlete and evaluate the runner's form with the help of measurements in real time.
"Pulse-rate watches and chest straps record only vital signs like breathing and heart rate. In contrast, our running shoe medically evaluates and monitors training while jogging," said Dr Andreas Heinig, a scientist at IPMS.
"It informs the runner for example of incorrect foot position, asymmetric loading, or warns of exhaustion or overload. There has never been a comparable device before," Heinig said.
The measurement system can be easily installed and removed from the soles of the shoes. To charge it, the pair of shoes is placed on a charger that is included.
The system also comprises accelerometers and GPS sensors that capture the biomechanical signals from the body as well as the runner's speed and transmit it via Bluetooth to the runner's smartphone.
A smartphone app evaluates the data in a split second with the help of specialised algorithms and gives the athlete feedback on training performance. If necessary, the app makes suggestions about running form or the training routine.
"The app could recommend running more slowly, for example, or rolling off the foot differently, suggest seeking a different running surface or stopping if necessary," Heinig said.
The high-tech shoe is expected to be commercially available by the beginning of 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next