Older age women must exercise to reduce death risk: Study
Washington: Older age women should be prescribed more moderate to high intensity activity rather than medicine as a treatment which would eventually reduce the risk of death in them says QUT study.
QUT's Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation claimed that instead of the conventional mode of physical and mental health medication doctors should prescribe customized exercises.
This study stands on the grounds of five years of research looking into the impact of exercise on mental and physical health in women over the age of 50, and clearly shows that moderate to vigorous intensity activity could have mental and physical health benefits.
The research also added that older women should be doing high intensity exercise for at least 30-45 minutes five times a week, but it should be tailored to ensure that its high intensity is enough to obtain the positive sustained effects of exercise.
By promoting healthy ageing has become an important strategy for reducing morbidity and mortality. The doctors should also develop exercise programs that are home-based and easy to incorporate as part of everyday activities.
This study is published in the international journal of midlife health and beyond, Maturitas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation