People dieting while in a relationship `preparing to break up`
London: If you suddenly find your partner has started going to the gym to shed the flab, don`t feel too happy about it -- there may be a crisis in your relationship, say researchers.
A new study has found that people who suddenly start doing workouts to lose weight, while in an apparently steady relationship, are secretly preparing to dump their other partners, the `Daily Mail` reported.
In fact, happy couples don`t worry about their expanding waistlines because there is less pressure to look attractive, say the German researchers.
Lead researcher Professor Thomas Klein studied the link between happiness and body weight and said the warning signs could include a sudden obsession with the gym or getting involved in sports and diets.
"When you are on the lookout for a new partner people try to be as thin and attractive as possible," Prof Klein of the University of Heidelberg was quoted as saying.
Consequently, when one half in a relationship starts slimming down it can be interpreted as "preparing for the partner market".
Prof Klein added: "People in a relationship feel less pressure and often put on weight as they do not watch their weight so much. In a happy partnership, people tend to get fat. With less competition, the weight difference is low."
But a crisis in a relationship can end the gluttony; and that could end up with both partners dropping weight, he says.
For their study, the researchers studied more than 2,000 people aged between 16 and 55. Among the findings was people in couples generally weighed more than single people hoping to attract a partner in a competitive dating market.
A separate US report found that married couples put on weight through "marital synchronicity" -- a shared environment of too much calorie-rich food and not enough exercise.
"Once the ink on the marriage contract dries up, they relax the control they had on their weight and appearance, "said the researchers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams