Physical exercise could help women fight osteoporosis
Washington: A physical exercise programme that is based on a very basic, rudimentary materials can significantly improve upper and lower limb strength as well as static and dynamic balance in women suffering from postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Montserrat Otero, a PhD holder in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences of the UPV/EHU-University of the Basque Country studied 68 women with postmenopausal osteoporosis of the age group 50 - 72, of whom 34 were randomly assigned to the Exercise Group and 34 to the Control Group.
The participants in the Exercise Group followed a supervised programme of physical exercise involving strength and balance training, which lasted six months in which there were 72 sessions each lasting 60 minutes, in which between 5 and 8 balance exercises and between 8 and 12 strength exercises were done per session.
The Control Group did not take part in the programme of physical exercise, although they did do the strength and balance tests beforehand and afterwards.
At the start of the programme there were no significant differences in the two groups in any of the variables.
However, following the intervention, the strength of the upper and lower limbs of the groups was markedly different.
Otero said that those in the Exercise Group improved their performance in muscular strength of the upper and lower limbs, while those in the Control Group worsened in both variables.
With respect to the balance variable, the Exercise Group had a significant improvement after the intervention.
Otero concluded that a programme of physical exercise based on low-intensity strength exercises and exercises involving static and dynamic balance, carried out three days per week in one-hour sessions over a 6-month period, leads to significant improvements in muscular strength in the upper and lower limbs and in static and dynamic balance in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Otero added that is why if there is no access to sophisticated equipment due to the economic cost involved, even without it, the risk factors of the main consequence of the disease can be reduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared