Pink bark helps in fitness, recovery: Study
Los Angeles: Struggling to stick with your fitness routine? Research shows that the bark from pine trees could help in keeping you fit.
A scientific study, published in a recent issue of The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, shows that the extract is effective in reducing muscle soreness and cramping and also in improving performance and endurance, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
The study was conducted on 147 recreational athletes. They were divided into two groups - one group supplemented their diet with the pine bark extract, known as Pycnogenol and the other did not.
Results of the eight week trial showed that those who took the supplement, finished a two mile-run two minutes faster than at the start of the trial.
“This study provides evidence that daily supplementation of Pycnogenol offers a natural approach to help reduce post-workout muscular pain, increase levels of physical performance and get you training again sooner,” said Gianni Belcaro, lead researcher of the study.
“Pycnogenol, along with good training and proper nutrition, may help to significantly improve physical fitness and reduce oxidative stress and muscular pain in both those who exercise recreationally and triathletes,” added Belcaro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!