'Proper' physical activity may act as fountain of youth for bone, joint health
Washington: A new study has revealed that being physically active and use of regular nutrition regimens minimizes the signs of aging, like bone and joint problems, and maintains the overall health in older adults.
The lead study author, Bryan G. Vopat, said that an increasing amount of evidence demonstrated that they could modulate age-related decline in the musculoskeletal system and that, a lot of the deterioration because of ageing could be attributed to a more sedentary lifestyle instead of aging itself.
The positive effects of physical activity on maintaining bone density, muscle mass, ligament and tendon function, and cartilage volume are keys to optimal physical function and health and the literature recommends a combined physical activity regimen for all adults encompassing resistance, endurance, flexibility and balance training.
The study also recommended "proper" nutrition for older, active adults to optimize performance and for senior athletes, a daily protein intake of 1.0 to 1.5 g/kg was recommended, as well as carbohydrate consumption of 6 to 8 g/kg (more than 8 g/kg in the days leading up to an endurance event).
Vopat added that regimens must be individualized for older adults according to their baseline level of conditioning and disability, and be instituted gradually and safely, particularly for elderly and poorly conditioned adults.
The study is published in Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (JAAOS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!