Running at night latest fitness craze
Sydney: Based on a new fitness trend sweeping the UK, the latest running craze is all about one thing - darkness.
And you don`t even have to get up at the crack of dawn for it. In fact, they`re at night and take place in pitch black with only a dimly lit head-torch to guide the way, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The names of these new events, dubbed " dark races", range from cute (the "Moonlight Flit"), to cheeky ("Wild Night Run") to frankly, a little scary ("Night Terror").
While they`re yet to take-over from Australia`s still-healthy obsession with commando-style courses (more than 50 are scheduled this year), it`s likely they`re not far away.
Australia already has ultra-marathons that happen well into the night - thanks to distances like 100 kilometres.
Associate professor Shawn D. Youngstedt from the department of exercise science at the University of South Carolina has found that - contrary to popular belief - late-night exercise doesn`t disrupt sleep.
Furthermore, that the two hormones which are important for energy metabolism (cortisol and thyroptopin) also peak in the evening.
And because our body temperature is at its highest at night, our joints and muscles are up to 20 per cent more flexible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state