Scared of gaining weight? Kick the butt first
New York: Are you concerned about gaining weight from quit-smoking treatment? Better be concerned abut reducing weight that not quitting the puff as the latter's health benefits are immense.
According to researchers, smokers may avoid treatment to quit smoking if they previously gained weight while trying to quit.
Weight gain is a predictable occurrence for smokers who have recently quit.
“Perhaps we should not be surprised that smokers who gained weight previously are once bitten, twice shy. They are concerned about weight gain if they attempt to quit even though they may know the benefits of quitting,” explained Susan Veldheer, a project manager at Penn State College of Medicine.
Researchers surveyed 186 smokers who sought treatment to quit and 102 smokers who avoided treatment.
All participants were asked about weight gain during past attempts to quit and their concern for gaining weight after quitting in the future.
Overall, smokers who sought treatment to quit were equally concerned about gaining weight as the smokers who avoided treatment.
Of all the participants, 53 percent had gained weight during a previous attempt to quit smoking.
“Clinicians should ask smokers if they had previously gained weight while trying to quit. If so, these smokers should be assured that strategies to maintain weight will be addressed in treatment,” said the study appeared in the International Journal of Clinical Practice.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'