Small weight gain enough to raise BP
Washington: New research suggests that weight gain of just 1.5 pounds or 0.6 kg per year is fraught with risk, enough to raise blood pressure in college students, with young women being worse off.
"If young people continue to gain 1.5 pounds a year and think it doesn`t matter, they`re misleading themselves and increasing their risk of heart disease," said Margarita Teran-Garcia, professor of food science and human nutrition at the University of Illinois.
Data were collected from 795, 18- to 20-year-old applicants to the Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi in Mexico who weren`t accepted to the university but reapplied the next year.
The study assessed changes in BMI (height to weight ratio) and body weight over one year and explored whether the applicants experienced changes in blood pressure and blood glucose levels, according to an Illinois statement.
One-year changes in body weight were associated with increased blood pressure (BP) for both men and women. In the 25 percent of applicants who had a weight gain of 5 percent or more, that gain was associated with higher BP. The changes were more significant for women than for men, she said.
"The good news is that the reverse was also true. Women who lost 5 percent of their body weight saw reductions in their blood pressure," added Teran-Garcia.
Teran-Garcia worries that doctors don`t take weight gain and small increases in blood pressure seriously enough in this age group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes
- Pampore terror attack: Centre to send committee to find reason behind security lapse