Taking stairs one at a time `burns more calories than leaping`
London: Ascending one step at a time actually burns more calories than leaping up multiple stairs, researchers say.
Although more energy is initially expended when taking two steps per stride, but over time more energy gets burnt up when you take your time.
Scientists from the University of Roehampton found that climbing five flights of stairs five times a week burnt an average of 302 calories if the stairs were taken one at a time, but taking two steps with every stride will only burn 260 calories.
“We were really interested to find out what expended more energy overall - attacking the stairs two at a time and climbing them quickly, or taking them more sedately one step at a time and reaching the top more slowly,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Lewis Halsey as saying.
“Our study reported the calories burned ascending stairs, the potential weight loss value of climbing stairs if done regularly and frequently during the week, and also the different energy costs of ascending stairs one step at a time versus two steps at a time.
“And our conclusion: it is better to take the stairs one at a time, if you want to burn the most calories,” Halsey added.
Taking the stairs one at a time may result in faster rates of muscle shortening, which increases energy turnover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Tips to pick up the right pair of shoes for the right occasion
- US President Barack Obama urges Vietnam to improve human rights to guarantee progress
- Sonu Nigam's new song 'Crazy Dil' has got the cutest surprise appearance ever – Watch to know
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gun battle cremated with full honours
- Two 'young' craters discovered on Moon