Taking stairs one at a time `burns more calories than leaping`
London: Ascending one step at a time actually burns more calories than leaping up multiple stairs, researchers say.
Although more energy is initially expended when taking two steps per stride, but over time more energy gets burnt up when you take your time.
Scientists from the University of Roehampton found that climbing five flights of stairs five times a week burnt an average of 302 calories if the stairs were taken one at a time, but taking two steps with every stride will only burn 260 calories.
“We were really interested to find out what expended more energy overall - attacking the stairs two at a time and climbing them quickly, or taking them more sedately one step at a time and reaching the top more slowly,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Lewis Halsey as saying.
“Our study reported the calories burned ascending stairs, the potential weight loss value of climbing stairs if done regularly and frequently during the week, and also the different energy costs of ascending stairs one step at a time versus two steps at a time.
“And our conclusion: it is better to take the stairs one at a time, if you want to burn the most calories,” Halsey added.
Taking the stairs one at a time may result in faster rates of muscle shortening, which increases energy turnover.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India