Watch what you eat to control weight gain
New Delhi: Avoid hot and crispy fried snacks, sweets, carbohydrates-rich food if you want to keep a check on your weight, but don`t forget to consume some calories for your body`s well-being, say experts.
Most of us avoid having food items with lots of calories, but it is good for the body in controlled form.
“Each and every individual has his own calorie requirement, which is based on his basal metabolic rate. If a person eats more calories than what he needs, he will definitely gain weight or if he eats less calories than what he needs, he will lose weight,” Annapurna Agrawal, nutritionist at Snap Fitness India, told IANS.
“If a person`s body requires 2,000 calories and if he or she eats food with 2,500 calories, the extra 500 kcal of what you eat will be converted into fat," explained Agrawal.
Junk food is a big no for the weight conscious people as it lacks essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals and proteins, and is instead high on fat and calories.
“You need to shun all your favourite fried snacks and those curries that have a lot of fat and are cooked in fair amount of oil,” Manik Pande and Meghana Surve, nutritionists at Talwalkar`s National Nutrition Centre, said in a joint statement.
They have even warned against intake of excess carbohydrates.
“Carbohydrates actually convert into fats after they are consumed. The body stores this fat and this adds to your body weight."
Grains and sugar, which are common in a diet, contain a large amount of carbohydrates. So, be careful while you consume them.
The summer season tempts you to go for chilled sodas and juices. These may refresh you instantly, but Pande and Surve advice that go for something healthier.
“Stick to water, lime juice and fresh fruit juices. Alcohol also is an evil beverage,” they said.
Also guard yourself against too many medicines.
“Anti-depressant medicines, birth control pills, allergy medications and blood pressure medications are some of the medicines that may cause weight gain,” said Agrawal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'