Web-based programmes for weight-loss
Washington: Web-based programmes are the new effective measures in weight loss and weight management, according to a study.
Weight loss is a topic of concern for nearly 36 percent of Americans who are considered obese. There are many barriers that can interfere with weight loss.
For those attending face-to-face weight loss programmes, barriers can include travel, conflict with work and home, need for child care, and loss of anonymity.
In a study released in the new issue of the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, investigators from the University of Kansas Medical Center continue to explore alternative weight management delivery methods to eliminate some of these barriers.
Debra Sullivan, lead investigator, says: "Although we found weight loss was significantly greater for face-to-face compared to virtual reality, weight maintenance was significantly better for virtual reality."
The virtual reality weight maintenance programme was conducted using Second Life, a web-based virtual reality environment available to the public.
Participants in Second Life create virtual representations of themselves, called "avatars", which can interact with other "avatars" and navigate through the virtual world of Second Life.
Voice communication is accomplished via headset, which allows for person-to-person and group interaction. Education and training takes place on an "island", which is purchased from Second Life and provides restricted group access to the nutrition education and training area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sensex logs first rise in five sessions on earnings lift
- Goa SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016 to be declared on May 25: (goaresults.nic.in) GBSHSE 10th board results, Goa Board (GBSHSE) SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016
- Best of your sex life begins at 40!
- Cristiano Ronaldo confident of Champions League glory despite injury scare
- Goa University Examination Results announced