Weightlifting delays memory loss
London: Weightlifting and aerobics may help slow down declining memory problems, a new study has found.
A conference heard that people with mild memory problems that can precede Alzheimer’s disease could be helped by exercise.
Researchers in Canada have found that resistance training such as lifting weights improved the performance in tests on conflict resolution, attention and memory in people with mild cognitive impairment.
The study by University of British Columbia involved 86 women with the condition who were aged between 70 and 80.
Another study, by the National Centre for Geriatrics and Gerontology in Japan found that language ability of a group of 47 older people with mild cognitive impairment improved when they took part in a mixture of aerobic, strength and balance exercises over a 12 month period.
A third study by a team at University of Pittsburgh on 120 older adults reported moderate intensity walking can grow the region of the brain related to memory.
“While weightlifting and workouts may not be everyone’s cup of tea, this research shows once again how important exercise is for the brain,” the Telegraph quoted Dr Anne Corbett, Research Manager at Alzheimer’s Society, as saying.
“We know regular exercise can reduce the risk of developing dementia by up to 45 per cent but these studies show it can also have real benefits for people with cognitive impairment.
“There are 800,000 people living with dementia in the UK. Research like this is crucial to help us provide the best treatment and care for people with mild cognitive impairment and dementia.
“The Prime Minister promised to double investment into research, now we need to make sure it’s spent in the most effective way,” Corbett added.
The findings of the study were presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference, in Vancouver, Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire