10 healthy diet tips during holidays
Dreading the holiday season, as it would crash your plans to maintain a healthy diet? Well, you don`t have to worry, for an expert has come up with a few tips to help you keep healthy habits intact during this time of the year.
"Attitude and commitment are so important to eating healthy any time of year," said Brittany Glassett, registered dietitian at Porter Adventist Hospital.
"There is no need to deny yourself all ``treats`` this time of year, but if you are mindful of what you are eating and practicing moderation, then you can be successful in your weight management goals - and know that you are sticking with your healthy habits," said Glassett.
Here`s is the 10 tips for healthy eating during the holidays:
1. No skipping meals. The old adage rings true -always eat breakfast. Eat small, frequent meals and healthy snacks during the day to help avoid overeating at holiday parties.
2. If you overindulge at one meal, don`t stress about it - just get back on track with your next meal.
3. Don`t drink your calories! Monitor alcohol and soda consumption. Both are high in calories. Try alternating water with alcoholic beverages.
4. Substitute - yogurt for cream, sour cream and mayonnaise, and substitute herbs and spices for salt and fats. You can also add strained applesauce instead of butter or cooking oil when baking.
5. Eat smaller portions or use a smaller plate. Share a piece of pie and don`t go back for seconds.
6. Pace, don`t race. Eat your food slowly. If you eat too fast your stomach won`t have time to register that it is full. Savour each bite.
7. Skip the appetizers - or bring your own healthy appetizer to a gathering. Nibble on raw vegetables, low fat dips and salsa.
8. Don`t loiter in the same room as the food. Focus your attention on the company, rather than the buffet or the bar.
9. Trim back the trimmings. Dressings and side dishes are typically high in calories. Eat turkey without the skin, make gravy with little or no fat and use lighter dressings.
10. Make sure you get regular exercise throughout the holidays. It helps you maintain your weight and decreases your stress. Get the family together for a walk after dinner or get to the gym in the mornings before the holiday activities begin. Better yet, sign up to run (or walk) a Turkey Trot or other event.
Finally, don`t deny yourself, said Glassett. Have a tiny taste of those things you really enjoy, but the key word is taste.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan