104-year-old operated on successfully
New Delhi: In a veritable medical miracle, a 104-year-old man successfully underwent spinal surgery within weeks of recovering from a heart operation, his doctors said here Friday.
"While the spine procedure in itself was simple, there were multiple risks considering the age of the patient and the prior medical history," said Sandeep Vaishya, additional director, neurology, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
"We had to weigh the patient`s heart strength including possible risks of a stroke and complications arising from the stent inserted during a prior angioplasty," said Vaishya, who led a team of doctors in performing the surgery to treat disc prolapse on the 104-year-old.
The patient, Ujjain-based Guru Mouni Baba, said: "I went to around 25 hospitals in different cities in India and abroad but I was not confident. The doctors here assured me that I will recover comfortably."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report