11 new genetic variations linked to Type 2 Diabetes
Washington: Scientists from Michigan Technological University have identified 11 new genetic variants linked to Type 2 diabetes.
With the help of Ensemble Learning Approach (ELA) software, the researchers have isolated 11 variations within genes—called single nucleotide polymorphisms, SNPs or snips, associated with Type 2 diabetes.
"With chronic, complex diseases like Parkinson``s, diabetes and ALS [Lou Gehrig``s disease], multiple genes are involved," said Qiuying Sha, an assistant professor of mathematical sciences.
“You need a powerful test," Sha added.
To test their model, the researchers analyzed over 1,000 people in the United Kingdom, half with Type 2 diabetes and half without.
They identified 11 SNPs that, singly or in pairs, are linked to the disease with a high degree of probability.
ELA is used to compare the genetic makeup of unrelated individuals to sort out disease-related genes.
The team has also developed another approach, which uses a two-stage association test that incorporates founders`` phenotypes, called TTFP, that can examine the genomes of family members going back generations.
The team has published their findings in the European Journal of Human Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared