180,000 abortions in Delhi in five years
New Delhi: More than 180,000 abortions took place in the Indian capital in the last five years, according to information provided to a RTI activist.
The maximum number of cases came to light from west Delhi followed by south Delhi.
The Delhi government provided the statistics in response to a query from Right to Information (RTI) applicant Mannish Bhatnagar.
A total of 180,301 abortions took place in the city between 2007 and 2011.
Till July this year, 1,628 abortions were conducted in northwest Delhi. Similar statistics for 2012 for other parts of the capital were not available.
Bhatnagar sought to know the total number of abortions in Delhi in order to determine the number of female foeticide cases.
Bhatnagar told IANS that he was also looking for the sex of the aborted foetus.
He said while the government had revealed the total number of abortions, they provided no other details.
According to the RTI reply, Delhi`s west district reported the maximum cases of abortions (43,631 cases).
The south district accounted for 37,664 cases. East Delhi came next with 27,257 abortions, followed by north-east district (21,170).
Central and New Delhi districts together accounted for 19,081 abortions.
South-West district saw 15,301 cases, North-West 10,449 and North district 5,748 abortions.
According to gynaecology expert Rinku Sengupta Dhar, abortion is legal up to 12 to 20 weeks of pregnancy but with the recommendation of a doctor.
Dhar, attending consultant at the Sitaram Bhartiya Institute of Science and Research, told IANS: "Up to 12 to 20 weeks, a woman can undergo an abortion process only for specific reasons - like if a pregnant woman has a serious medical disease and continuation of pregnancy could endanger her life, if continuation of pregnancy could lead to substantial risk to the newborn leading to serious physical or mental handicaps or if pregnancy resulting of rape."
"Abortion can be said to be legal if recommended by doctors in a specific situation but only up to 12 to 20 weeks (after pregnancy). After 20 weeks, abortion is illegal in India.
"Only adults are allowed to go for abortions. But in some cases like unwanted teenage pregnancy and rape, abortion of minors can be done with guardian`s permission," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes