250 trauma centres proposed in India: Bhupinder Singh Hooda
New Delhi: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Friday said the central government has proposed to build 250 trauma care centres in the country in the next five years.
"The central government has proposed to set up 250 trauma centres all over the country in the next five years to help accident victims," said Hooda at the fifth annual conference of Indian Society for Trauma and Acute Care (ISTAC) here.
The Haryana chief minister warned that accidents on Indian roads were rising at an alarming rate of three percent annually and ever year nearly 1.3 million people in the country die in road accidents.
"It is a must to wear helmet while riding a motorcycle. Road accident is the leading cause of death among young people aged between 15 to 29," Hooda said.
He also admitted the availability of trained human resources was a major challenge for access to quality trauma care services in the country.
"By ensuring that motorcyclists wear helmets while riding can effectively reduce fatal injuries by 30 to 40 percent. Nearly 90 percent of accident victims in India suffer head injuries," said M.C Misra, chief of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences trauma centre, Delhi.
"Trauma care is very fragmented and varies from state to state," Misra said, stressing that "we need trained manpower at all levels for a responsive trauma care system in the country".
"Sometimes patients reach us as late as after 14 hours of fatal injuries," Mishra said, adding that lack of adequate trauma care services was one of the leading causes of accidental deaths in rural India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu