250 trauma centres proposed in India: Bhupinder Singh Hooda
New Delhi: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Friday said the central government has proposed to build 250 trauma care centres in the country in the next five years.
"The central government has proposed to set up 250 trauma centres all over the country in the next five years to help accident victims," said Hooda at the fifth annual conference of Indian Society for Trauma and Acute Care (ISTAC) here.
The Haryana chief minister warned that accidents on Indian roads were rising at an alarming rate of three percent annually and ever year nearly 1.3 million people in the country die in road accidents.
"It is a must to wear helmet while riding a motorcycle. Road accident is the leading cause of death among young people aged between 15 to 29," Hooda said.
He also admitted the availability of trained human resources was a major challenge for access to quality trauma care services in the country.
"By ensuring that motorcyclists wear helmets while riding can effectively reduce fatal injuries by 30 to 40 percent. Nearly 90 percent of accident victims in India suffer head injuries," said M.C Misra, chief of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences trauma centre, Delhi.
"Trauma care is very fragmented and varies from state to state," Misra said, stressing that "we need trained manpower at all levels for a responsive trauma care system in the country".
"Sometimes patients reach us as late as after 14 hours of fatal injuries," Mishra said, adding that lack of adequate trauma care services was one of the leading causes of accidental deaths in rural India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read