28 crib deaths in two Bengal districts this week
Kolkata: Crib deaths are back to haunt West Bengal with more than two dozen infants dying in two different government-run hospitals in the state in the past few days.
While Malda Medical College Hospital (MMCH) in Malda district has witnessed 11 crib deaths since Wednesday, the Bankura Sammilani Medical College (BSMC) in Bankura district has seen 17 such deaths in the last four days.
“In the last 24 hours, seven babies, all below one year of age, have died in the hospital taking the toll to 11 since Wednesday night,” said MMCH superintendent Abdur Rashid.
The 11 crib deaths include a triplet born grossly underweight Wednesday night.
BSMC superintendent Panchanan Kundu confirmed the 17 baby deaths in his hospital.
Both Rashid and Kundu have claimed that the infants were "grossly underweight" and were brought to the hospitals in critical condition.
Kundu also denied allegations that a large section of the hospital staff was on leave during the Durga puja which resulted in the deaths.
Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury, who visited MMCH, blamed the Mamata Banerjee government for not properly utilising the funds given by the central government under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM).
"It is a sad fact that the state has failed to utilise funds under the NRHM. Had the NRHM been properly implemented in the state, these deaths would not have happened," he said.
The MMCH has been in the news for infants deaths accounting for over 200 crib deaths last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata