354 corneas received by Erode Govt hospital
Erode: Some 354 corneas have been received by the Government Headquarters Hospital here this fiscal and over 300 were sent to Chennai, Madurai and Coimbatore where they were transplanted on those suffering from corneal-blindness, a senior doctor said today.
There was good response to cornea-donation and some 177 persons had donated their eyes this fiscal, Dr M. Ravikumar, Senior Ophthalmic Surgeon, said.
Out of 354 corneas,the Government Headquarters hospital used one cornea while a local private eye hospital used 14.
Regarding cataract surgeries, he said it was decided to perform thirty thousand such surgeries for 2011-2012 in Erode district. As on date 95 per cent of the target has been
achieved, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read