358 leeches used to reconstruct woman`s face
London: A huge chunk of a woman`s face bitten off during a horrific dog attack was reconstructed by Swedish surgeons using 358 leeches, a media report said Wednesday.
Her relatives managed to recover the loose skin, spanning from her upper lip to her eye, and keep it chilled. The incident took place last month.
During the 15-hour procedure, experts at Skane University Hospital in Malmo used the leeches to force blood to flow into the damaged skin, Daily Mail reported.
The leeches helped re-start circulation through their sucking and blood-thinning fluids.
"The grower who supplies the hospital with leeches ran out, so more had to be flown in from the UK," the Mail said quoting surgeon Stina Klasson.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know