358 leeches used to reconstruct woman`s face
London: A huge chunk of a woman`s face bitten off during a horrific dog attack was reconstructed by Swedish surgeons using 358 leeches, a media report said Wednesday.
Her relatives managed to recover the loose skin, spanning from her upper lip to her eye, and keep it chilled. The incident took place last month.
During the 15-hour procedure, experts at Skane University Hospital in Malmo used the leeches to force blood to flow into the damaged skin, Daily Mail reported.
The leeches helped re-start circulation through their sucking and blood-thinning fluids.
"The grower who supplies the hospital with leeches ran out, so more had to be flown in from the UK," the Mail said quoting surgeon Stina Klasson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...