39 more dengue cases in Delhi
New Delhi: Dengue cases in the national capital rose to 1,277 Wednesday, with 39 more people testing positive for the mosquito-borne disease, official data said.
Of the new cases, 15 were reported from areas of North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 14 from South Delhi Municipal Corporation, eight from East Delhi Municipal Corporation, and two from New Delhi Municipal Council.
The South Delhi Municipal Corporation has reported 482 dengue cases this year -- the highest among all the civic agencies.
There have been three deaths so far this season.
In 2011, 886 dengue cases were reported in the city, down from 5,730 cases in 2010.
Officials said the unusually high figure in 2010 followed massive construction activity for the Commonwealth Games, which pulled in workers from neighbouring states and also created stagnant pools of water for mosquitoes to breed.
Dengue fever is a communicable disease, and its symptoms include high fever for four to five days, usually accompanied by severe headache, pain in the eyes, muscles and joints and rashes.
After the fever goes away, the blood platelet count starts dipping. This is the most dangerous phase of the disease, and can lead to fatal multi-organ failure,say doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant