42 confirmed, suspected Ebola deaths in Congo

A total 42 people have died in confirmed or suspected Ebola infection cases in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Minister of Public Health Felix Kabange said Wednesday.

IANS| Updated: Oct 01, 2014, 19:21 PM IST

Kinshasa: A total 42 people have died in confirmed or suspected Ebola infection cases in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Minister of Public Health Felix Kabange said Wednesday.

A total 30 cases had been confirmed, out of which 16 died, two remain in isolation, and 12 are healed. Other deaths are suspected and probable cases, Xinhua reported citing the minister.

Kabange said that 243 people were being monitored among the 245 who had been in contact with Ebola patients.

"The dead include eight health workers and three isolation cases, all in the Equateur province," he added.

With the first case confirmed in mid-August, DRC is experiencing its seventh Ebola outbreak since 1976.