42% of Ahmedabad denizens are overweight: Survey
Ahmedabad: Nearly half the population of Ahmedabad city-- 42 per cent-- is either overweight, obese or morbidly obese, a recent survey has found.
While Kochi takes the top spot on `bulge` index (46 pc), followed by Bangalore (43 pc), Ahmedabad comes third.
Mumbai-kars, on the other hand, ranked lowest, with only 27 per cent of population having weight issues, the AC Nielsen survey commissioned by Johnson & Johnson has found.
"The survey revealed that 42 per cent of the population here weighs above ideal weight," said Dr Mahendra Narwaria, a bariatric surgeon, announcing the findings here today.
"27 per cent are overweight, 12 per cent are obese and 3 per cent are morbidly obese," he said, adding that this was a very "alarming situation" and the city, growing exponentially economically, seemed to be "very careless about the health".
The survey, conducted across Delhi, Ludhiana, Jaipur, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Cochin, found that prevalence of morbid obesity is higher in mini-metros.
"This is more alarming for Ahmedabad because prevalence of obesity in women (16 per cent) and men (12 per cent) is higher than national average of 11 and 8 per cent respectively," said Dr Narwaria.
He attributed the rising waistlines of the Ahmedabad residents to oily or fatty food (50 pc), irregular eating habits (44 pc) and lack of physical exercise coupled with sedentary lifestyle (43 pc).
The overweight population was found to be suffering from co-existing conditions such as hypertension (52 pc), heart diseases (45 pc), sleep apnea (39 pc), heart burn (38 pc), joint pains (35 pc).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today