7 simple lifestyle steps may decrease risk of blood clots
Washington: Adopting seven simple lifestyle steps could help reduce your risk of these potentially deadly blood clots, according to a new study.
Every five minutes, someone in the United States dies of a blood clot in the legs ( deep vein thrombosis) or lungs ( pulmonary embolism ), according to the American Heart Association.
In a large, long-term study, researchers followed 30,239 adults who were 45 years or older for 4.6 years. Researchers rated participants` heart health using the seven health indicators from the American Heart Association Life`s Simple 7.
They include being physically active, avoiding smoking, following a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy body mass index, and controlling blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol. They then compared the incidence of blood clots among those whose heart health rated as inadequate, average and optimum.
Among participants with optimum health, the risk of blood clots was 44 percent lower than those with inadequate health. Those with average health had a 38 percent lower risk.
Maintaining ideal levels of physical activity and body mass index were the most significant lifestyle changes related to lower risk of blood clots.
The study has been presented at the American Heart Association`s Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 2013 Scientific Sessions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video