`76 per cent of Indians unaware of causes of kidney diseases`
New Delhi: A whopping 76 per cent of the
Indians are unaware of the causes of kidney diseases with
Delhiites topping the list.
According to the survey conducted by a leading renal
disease management hospital, only 24 per cent of the
countrymen are aware of the causes of renal diseases with
Delhiites being the least aware at 10 per cent.
Also a mere 34 per cent of the Delhiites polled were
aware that kidney failure is incurable but the progression can
be controlled with medical treatment.
"Preventive nephrology will be succesful only when
there is awareness about the importance of early detection and
preventive health check-ups. Merely awareness will not
suffice," said senior nephrologist Dr Sushma Rani.
The survey also goes on to show that there is an
urgent need to spread awareness about renal disease among the
masses lest the situation goes out of control.
The survey was carried out in six major cities of the
country where 600 people in the age group of 20-50 years were
It is shocking that 64 per cent people polled were not
even aware of a nephrologist being a kidney specialist.
Diabetes and hypertension are the major causes of
chronic kidney disorders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best