A `bionic eye` that gives limited vision to blind
Washington: The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a "bionic retina", called Argus II, the nation`s first implanted device for the blind which allows some patients to see well enough to read large letters and detect large images and movement.
"This is truly an exciting and historic moment in the drive to restore vision in people with advanced retinal degenerative diseases," said Stephen Rose, chief research officer of the Fighting Blindness Foundation.
"By restoring some basic vision, the Argus II gives people independence, mobility and, ultimately, improved quality of life," he said.
The Argus II includes a small video camera and transmitter mounted on a pair of eye-glasses, a video processing unit and electrodes that are implanted onto the patient`s retina. Together, they replicate the action of cells that have degenerated in patients with advanced retinitis pigmentosa (RP).
An estimated 100,000 people in the US have RP.
"Without the system, I wouldn`t be able to see anything at all, and if you were in front of me and you moved left and right, I`m not going to realise any of this," said Elias Konstantopolous, who has been using the device through clinical trials.
"When you have nothing, this is something. It`s a lot," he told The New York Times.
A clinical study reviewed by the FDA found participants could perform basic activities like detecting the direction of a motion, recognising large letters, words, or sentences, detecting street curbs, walking on a sidewalk without stepping off, and matching black, grey and white socks.
"This is a game changer... that represents a huge step forward for the field and for these patients who were without any available treatment options until now," said Robert Greenberg, chief executive of Second Sight, the California-based company that developed the Argus II.
The Argus II received approval in Europe in 2011 to treat severe blindness from any type of outer retinal degeneration, but is only being marketed there for RT, according to The New York Times.
In the US, more trials are needed for approval.
The Argus II will be available later this year in approximately 10 clinical centres across the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!