A substance that tricks brain to ease Parkinson`s
Washington: A painstaking search through nearly 390,000 chemical compounds has isolated a substance that can sneak through the brain`s protective barrier and trick it into easing Parkinson`s and Huntington`s disease.
Aleksey G. Kazantsev, associate professor in neurology at the Harvard Medical School, and colleagues previously discovered that blocking cholesterol formation in the brain could insure against damage caused by disorders like Parkinson`s.
Parkinson`s, a neuro-degenerative disease, results from the death of dopamine-containing cells in a region of the midbrain. Early symptoms include shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait.
Several other studies have suggested that too much cholesterol may kill brain cells in similar diseases. Kazantsev isolated the substance that blocks formation of cholesterol in the brain, reports the journal ACS Chemical Biology.
So they launched a search for a so-called "small molecules" -- substances ideal for developing into medicines -- capable of blocking cholesterol formation, according to a statement of the American Chemical Society.
It is a small molecule that blocks the activity of a key protein involved in cholesterol production. It successfully lowers cholesterol levels in isolated nerve cells and brain slices from mice.
If the molecule proves to be a good target for developing new drugs, the scientists note, "it could have a broader application in other neurological conditions, such as Alzheimer`s disease, for which modulation of cholesterol and other associated metabolic pathways might be of therapeutic benefit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks