Abused kids tend to smoke more as teens and adults
Washington: A new study finds a connection not between whether or not abused children will ever begin smoking but to how much they will smoke once they do start.
"In other words, people are as likely to smoke whether or not they were sexually or physically abused, but they`re inclined to smoke more if they were abused and have a history of smoking," Todd Herrenkohl, a professor in the UW School of Social Work, said.
Herrenkohl and co-authors probed the Lehigh Longitudinal Study, which began in the mid-1970s.
Participants were recruited from child welfare abuse and protective service programs, as well as day care programs, private nursery programs and Head Start classrooms in Eastern Pennsylvania.
UW researchers looked specifically for any connection between physical or sexual abuse and adolescent and adult smoking.
They found that boys who had experienced either type of abuse and were smokers, smoked more than those who hadn`t been abused as a child.
For girls who smoked, only those who had been sexually abused smoked more as adolescents.
That frequency of adolescent smoking by both girls and boys, in turn, led to increased smoking in adulthood, especially among women.
The study is published online in the Journal of Adolescent Health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video