Acidity in mouth spoils teeth: Report
New Delhi: Mouth acidity, caused by sugary foods, fizzy drinks and other acidic food items, can damage the teeth by softening their roots, a study by leading oral hygiene brand Pepsodent said Friday.
"Acidity is not just something that occurs in the stomach during digestion; it begins in the mouth and causes the teeth to soften. Even a healthy diet can cause acid formation in mouth and help the growth of harmful bacteria," said the report released here.
"High acid level can wear away tooth enamel by damaging 'pH' level in teeth which refers to the balance between acids and alkaline elements in the body. Lower the pH level, higher the acid in the mouth which makes teeth more sensitive to extreme temperatures and prone to decay," it added.
While sugary foods, fizzy drinks and certain fruits increase the acid level in the mouth, consumption of bananas, potatoes, dairy products especially milk and nuts along with a lot of water help raise the pH levels and lower the acid level.
"After a meal, the pH level in mouth reduces for around two hours and saliva tries to neutralise the acid and raise the pH level, but if you continue to drink acidic beverages and sugary foods, the saliva will not be able to neutralize the acid," it said.
"Oral hygiene can be achieved by balanced meals, reducing refined carbohydrates intake and drinking water after every meal. Brushing twice daily up to four minutes using fluoride toothpaste will help keep the enamel of your teeth and maintain your overall oral health," said Kamlesh Desai, a dental surgeon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!