Actelion sees data on big drug hope in coming weeks
Zurich: Europe`s largest biotech company Actelion said it expects results of a pivotal late-stage clinical trial on heart and lung disease drug macitentan in the next few weeks, as a strong Swiss franc and competition hit first-quarter profit.
Net profit dropped 69 percent to 45.1 million Swiss francs ($44.8 million), missing analysts` average forecast of 66.8 million Swiss francs in a Reuters poll, due in part to the strength of the Swiss currency.
"As expected the market place remains very challenging, mostly due to changes in the competitive landscape in the United States and strong pricing pressures in certain markets," Chief Executive Jean-Paul Clozel said on Thursday.
Actelion is trying to cut its dependence on its main product Tracleer, which accounts for around 90 percent of group sales and is facing growing competition from Gilead`s rival drug Letairis.
First-quarter Tracleer sales slipped to 363.7 million Swiss francs from 402.8 million Swiss francs a year ago.
All eyes are on the results of a late-stage clinical trial of macitentan, billed as a Tracleer successor, which the company expects to be available in the next few weeks.
Its success is vital if Actelion is to protect its dominant position in the pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) market. Tracleer will lose market exclusivity from 2015.
PAH is a disease that results in high pressure in the lungs, meaning the heart has to pump against too much resistance.
Actelion lifted its outlook, saying it now only expects sales in local currencies to decrease by a low single-digit percentage in 2012, from a previously expected decline of low-to-mid single digits, due to more favorable U.S. pricing in the first quarter.
The Basel-based firm said it remained on track for flat core earnings in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp