Adequate sleep key to weight loss
Washington: Adequate sleep is important for person to lose weight, and it should be added to the recommended mix of diet and exercise, a new study suggests.
Although calorie restriction and increased physical activity are recommended for weight loss, there is significant evidence that inadequate sleep is contributing to obesity.
Lack of sleep increases the stimulus to consume more food and increases appetite-regulating hormones.
“The solution [to weight loss] is not as simple as ‘eat less, move more, sleep more’,” Drs. Jean-Phillippe Chaput, Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario and Angelo Tremblay, Laval University, Québec, Quebec, wrote.
“However, an accumulating body of evidence suggests that sleeping habits should not be overlooked when prescribing a weight-reduction program to a patient with obesity. Sleep should be included as part of the lifestyle package that traditionally has focused on diet and physical activity,” Chaput said.
The authors’ recently published research found that total sleep time and quality of sleep predicted the loss of fat in people enrolled in a weight loss program.
The Canadian Obesity Network has included adequate sleep in its new set of obesity management tools for physicians.
The study is published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP